Why choose a B.S. in marketing at Marian?
With a highly versatile marketing degree, you’ll be able to work in nearly any industry which includes banking and financial services, communications/media, consumer services, education, healthcare, hospitality and entertainment, biotechnology, manufacturing, retail, pharmaceuticals, sports, technology, and transportation.
Marian’s experiential curriculum gives you knowledge and insight into the hottest marketing trends. You’ll study analytics, marketing strategies, sales management, consumer behavior, and ethical approaches to marketing.
Plus, 100% of our marketing majors complete at least one internship.
2020 National Sales Competition Champions
Marian University competed against 31 other universities at the 2020 virtual National Team Selling Competition. The Byrum School’s presentation team of Anton Berry ‘21, Sarah Spangler ‘22, and Sandra Sledge ’22, won the competition, bringing home a first-place trophy and $1,500 besting the University of Baylor, Penn State University, and the University of Richmond.
What will you study?
The 128-credit marketing degree includes general education, business core, and required and elective courses in the marketing major.
Marian’s general education courses enable you to build the skills that employers want such as strong critical thinking, communication, and cultural awareness.
The Byrum School’s core business courses provide you with significant business experiences. In these courses, you’ll learn business by doing business, like putting together business plans and completing a mergers and acquisition project with Eli Lilly.
Courses for the marketing major include required and elective courses like:
- MKT 217: New Media Marketing
- MKT 325: Business Consulting: A-Team
- MKT 338: Global Marketing
- MKT 341: Promotion
- MKT 342: Selling and Sales Management
- MKT 344: Marketing Research
- MKT 348: Sports Marketing and Sponsorships
- MKT 442: Advanced Professional Selling
- MKT 444: Negotiation
- MKT 445: National Student Advertising Competition
- MKT 446: Strategic Marketing
For complete details about the curriculum and degree requirements, review our Undergraduate Course Catalog or download our four-year plan of study and checklist.
Sample four-year plan and checklist
Add a double-major, minor, or concentration to your plan of study
Marian offers other academic options that can make you an even more attractive marketing job candidate.
- Concentration in the business of sports: If you want to work in sports marketing or event management, pair your major in marketing with a concentration in the business of sports. Because Indianapolis is a hub for professional and amateur sports, you will have access to internships at places like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Lucas Oil Stadium, NCAA headquarters, and Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
- Concentration in digital marketing: Digital marketing skills are in high demand. You’ll learn about mobile marketing, social media, marketing analytics, search engine optimization, new digital technologies, and video production.
- Concentration in professional selling: If you are interested in a sales career, you’ll have an opportunity to take courses in sales, advanced selling techniques, negotiation, sales technology, and complete a sales internship. Students compete in a variety of national sales competitions each year and are able to prepare in our digital classroom and sales lab. Industry partners from top corporations visit classrooms and assist in student coaching. The Byrum School was named a Top University for Sales Education in 2019 and 2020 by the Sales Education Foundation.
- Double major in business analytics: Students who want to work in market research can add a second major in business analytics and get involved in industry research projects and learn how to apply marketing analytics. In market research and business analytics courses, students learn to apply advanced analysis techniques, use software tools like Qualtrics and SPSS, and apply tools for data mining and data visualization.
- Minor in global studies or cross-cultural communications: Marian students can complete study abroad courses – we are a direct flight to Paris. Expand your worldview and gain a deeper appreciation for other cultures by taking at least one study-abroad course before you graduate! You can also select from seven different international courses in the Byrum School, such as Business Communication in Global Contexts, Global Marketing, International Business, and International Finance.
- To work on the creative side of marketing, you may add a minor or concentration in graphic design, photography, or digital marketing.
- For careers in healthcare marketing, consider a minor in biology, medical humanities, physical education, or public health.
What are your career paths?
The American Marketing Association (AMA) summarized findings from The Creative Group’s salary guide. Among entry-level marketing positions requiring one to three years of experience, national average salaries were:
|Marketing communications coordinator
|Marketing analytics specialist
Later in your career, view average national salary ranges for experienced marketing pros:
|Business development director
|Corporate marketing department
|Chief marketing officer
|Marketing communications manager
|Agency or corporate setting
|Digital/interactive marketing manager
Marketing majors at Marian are encouraged to join professional associations like: