Building Level Administrator (BLA) Licensure
Marian University’s BLA licensure program is perfect for any licensed teacher or counselor whose career goal is to work as a school principal, program director, or administrator in elementary or secondary school settings. Students can earn their administrative license in just one year; Marian also offers a specialized track to meet the unique needs of Catholic school administrators. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national employment outlook for elementary, middle, and high school principals is expected to grow by at least eight percent through 2026.
Our Building Level Administrator curriculum meets the Indiana Department of Education licensure standards and requirements.
Marian’s BLA program features a hybrid cohort-based format. BLA certification is ideal for licensed K-12 teachers who want to expand their career options by working in school leadership positions. As a student in the BLA program, you'll complete a curriculum that combines academic rigor, online coursework, six to seven on-campus sessions, supplemental reading, and extensive collaboration with your cohort peers.
Among the subjects and topics you'll explore are:
- Adaptive leadership
- Systems thinking
- Culture for high-performing schools
- School law and management
- Transformational leadership
- Teaching, learning, and talent development
- Family and community engagement
- Leadership for student learning
- Research Allocation
Applying for admission
Applicants must have a master’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA and their professional teaching or school counselor license for admission to the program. To apply, go to marian.edu/applynow. Other requirements include:
- Submit official transcripts from every college and/or university you've attended. Official transcripts are those sent directly to Marian University from the schools you've attended or those delivered to us in a sealed envelope from the school. Official transcripts may be printed on special paper. They are also embossed with the school's official seal. If you have opened the sealed envelope, it is NOT official and we cannot accept it.
- Complete a criminal history check through the Indiana State Police.
- Provide two letters of recommendation from professional references.
- Participate in a phone interview, during which we'll measure your leadership competencies.
- Complete a behavioral interview so we can evaluate your leadership actions.
Students earning their BLA certification complete the same 26 credits of foundational coursework as Master of Arts in Educational Leadership students. This program, however, does not require directed electives, a master's capstone project/thesis, or an internship as part of the BLA curriculum. If you’re interested in enrolling in the Catholic School concentration, completion of the program requires taking Call and Culture of Catholic Schools and Law and Management of Private Schools.
For BLA tuition rates, visit the Business Office "tuition rates" page.
Learn more about the BLA licensure program at Marian!
Marian University’s BLA licensure program is a convenient way for licensed teachers or counselors to become school administrators. Interested in learning more about becoming a Building Level Administrator? Request more information today!