Before attending Marian University, you will need to complete a few placement tests. These will help your advisor place you in the appropriate courses that you will be successful in.
Placement testing will need to be completed BEFORE your orientation date to be the most useful to students and advisors. You can access the tests and information below:
- All students must complete the Math Placement test before attending orientation.
- The one-hour timed math test must be completed in one sitting. You will not be able to pause the test to resume at a later time.
- The math placement test must be completed before you can register for a math course and/or before you can register for your second semester of classes at Marian University.
Access the math placement test here
- All students should complete the Writing Guided Self-Placement test before attending orientation.
- The Writing Placement test is a survey that leads to a recommendation for the most appropriate first-year writing course.
- Students will need to share their results with their advisor to ensure registration into the most appropriate English course.
Access the writing guided self-placement test here
- The Reading Comprehension test is assigned to students based on weighted high school GPA at the time of admission.
- GPA of 3.5 or above- testing not required
- GPA of 3.0 or below- testing required
- Students who have a weighted GPA between 3.01 and 3.49 will be subject to individual review by the Center for Academic Success and Engagement (CASE).
- The placement test determines whether you are required to take COL 099- College Reading and Learning Strategies. This course will prepare you for success in Marian University coursework.
- If a student is required to take the Reading Comprehension Placement test, they will be notified and given access through their Marian University student email account.
- Any questions regarding the placement test should be directed to May Cheng, Director of Academic Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All students are required to take one world language course according to their current ability level. Marian University offers French, German, Latin, and Spanish.
- If you want to continue taking courses in a previously studied world language, you will complete world language placement testing online before your orientation. You must complete the world language course in which
you are placed to fulfill the graduation requirement. Additional back credit may be awarded if that course is taken and passed with a C or higher. You can find more information about Back Credit here.
- If you choose to take a world language at Marian University that you did NOT previously study, you are required to take the introductory 101 courses for that language.
- Results are valid for two years from the test date.
More info about
the language placement test
- If you are an incoming transfer student less than 30 transfer credit hours, you are required to complete math, writing, and reading comprehension placement testing unless you have equivalent transfer coursework which
fulfills these requirements.
- Transfer students with 30 or more transfer credit hours are NOT required to complete placement testing.
- World language placement testing is not required for transfer students, though you are encouraged to talk with your advisor about the world language placement exam if you have previous coursework in French, German, Latin, or Spanish, as you
must still complete the world language general education requirement.
More information about Test or Dual credit.