Applicants accepted for admission are required to obtain and to provide the required documentation indicating that they do not have conditions that would endanger the health and well-being of patients.
- Students are required to submit the Student Immunization Record and Student Health Record, prior to matriculation. Students must maintain these health requirements throughout their enrollment. Failure to perform required health and immunization activities may prevent students from completing the curriculum in clinical education rotations.
- Documentation from a medical provider regarding immunizations, labs and screenings
- Health insurance verification: MU-COM students must submit proof of health insurance before matriculating, and all students are required to maintain active health insurance throughout their four years. A copy of your insurance card will not meet this requirement. Students are required to obtain a letter from their health insurance provider that must provide the following information:
- Your full name
- Effective start date
- Statement that you are actively enrolled in your health insurance plan
- Examples of letters:
- A letter from your personal health insurance provider or
- A letter from your parent or spouses' health insurance provider stating that you are a dependent or a member or
- A screen shot from your health insurance website
If you have any questions contact our office at (317) 955-6183.
Students are required to submit medical history and physical examination information on a form that has been completed and signed by a licensed physician, prior to matriculation. Students must maintain these health requirements throughout their enrollment. Failure to perform required health and immunization activities may prevent students from completing the curriculum in clinical education rotations.
MU-COM requires the following immunizations, laboratory tests, and screenings:
Titers, which requires blood to be drawn
Because vaccinations from childhood do not meet these requirements, you must complete blood work for the following:
- Hepatitis B Titer Antibody (AB)*
- Measles (Rubeola), Rubella and Mumps IgG Titer*
- Hepatitis C AB Titer*
- Varicella IgG Titer*
Vaccinations, which can mean shots or pills
- 2 step PPD (an Annual TB Screening will need to be completed years 2, 3, & 4)
- Annual Influenza Vaccine (fall of each academic year)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular, Pertussis (Tdap) Immunization (every 10 years)
- Meningococcal Vaccine(s)
- Polio Vaccine Series (If you have not completed the vaccination series, 4 doses, you must receive a polio titer)
- Physical Exam
- Permission to Treat
- Emergency Contact
*Titers: lab results from a blood test are mandatory for students to prove they are immune. Vaccines alone do not meet this requirement. Proof of immunity is confirmed by checking titers. Students must provide a copy of the lab results.
Prior to matriculation, students must submit their documentation of the listed laboratory tests, immunizations, and screenings to the Office of Student Affairs. Incomplete forms will prevent matriculation and may prevent academic advancement if not kept current. As many of these immunizations and proof of immunity are required by the clinical training sites, and are recommended to work with the public in a health environment, MU-COM does not waive these requirements for religious reasons or personal preferences.
Required laboratory tests and immunizations may change annually based on recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the United States Prevention Task Force, and healthcare facilities. Students will be notified of any change.
Please call the Office of Student Affairs at (317) 955-6183 with any questions.