Vocal Music or Vocal Music Education Requirements
Choose two pieces to sing for your audition:
- One from classical repertoire (i.e., art songs, arias, or oratorios in English or other languages).
- One from musical theatre or the Great American Songbook.
An accompanist will be provided and you will have a brief rehearsal. Please bring a copy of your music for the accompanist.
Instrumental Music or Instrumental Music Education Requirements
Brass, Woodwinds, Guitar, Strings, and Piano
Be prepared for sight-reading and to play:
- One movement or etude at a faster tempo, demonstrating your rhythmic and technical skills.
- One movement or etude at a slower tempo, demonstrating your lyrical playing.
- All major scales and a full-range chromatic scale from memory.
Be prepared for sight reading on snare drum, marimba, and timpani and to play:
- Snare drum—One solo or etude of your choice (example: Delecluse, Albright, Peters, Cirone, Goldenberg, Wilcoxin, Pratt or any equivalent).
- Marimba and/or vibraphone or xylophone—One solo of your choice (example: G.H. Green rag, Peters, Stout, Abe, Bach, Smadbeck, Sammut, Musser, Rosauro or any equivalent).
- Timpani—One solo or etude (for at least three-to-four timpani preferred) of your choice (example: Goodman, Vic Firth, Peters, Delecluse, Schinstine or any equivalent).
- Drum set (optional)—Demonstrate various styles like rock/funk, jazz, Latin (bossa nova, samba, songo, mambo, calypso/soca, etc.) and/or be prepared for a solo.
Auditions are not required for non-music majors to participate in ensembles or to be eligible for a potential scholarship.