Skip to content

Traveling Tips for F-1 Students

Where are you traveling?

It is your responsibility to understand and comply with all visitor and visa requirements for entering the countries you wish to visit. Even traveling to Canada form the U.S. requires a visitor's visa for students from some countries. Be sure to research the laws and visa policies for visitors before purchasing transportation tickets, hotel rooms, and making other travel plans.

Visit the Study in the States website more travel tips, information, and reminders.

Required Travel Documents

Travel Signature

Bring your most recent I-20 to Julia Wells for an authorized travel signature. No appointment is needed. Please allow five to seven business days for your I-20 to be processed.

  • You are required to present a current I-20 with authorized signature to immigration officers.
  • We also recommend you (1) carry all previous I-20s in case the officer wants to review your I-20 history and (2) obtain a travel signature every six months you travel.


Your passport should be valid for at least six months.


Your visa must be valid for you to re-enter the United States after traveling to other countries. If you have an expired visa (or if it will be expired by the time you return to the U.S.) you must apply for a new visa.

The only exception to this rule is if you are traveling to Mexico, Canada, or the contiguous islands of the Caribbean. This exception is called the Automatic Visa Revalidation. Please see the U.S. Department of State's website for more information.

I-901 Fee Payment Proof

We recommended you carry proof of your SEVIS fee payment. If you do not have a printout, please go to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's website and print a confirmation of payment.

Proof of Financial Support

We suggest your bring proof of financial support, per the I-20.

Marian University Admission Letter

Have a copy of the letter in which you are formally offered admission to the university. 

Campus Contact 

In case you have an emergency and need to contact someone from the university during your travels, call Marian University's 24-hour emergency phone. This number is to the Marian University Police Department and is (317) 955-6789.

When You Return

Upon your return to the U.S. after your trip, ensure your travel dates were properly documented in your Arrival and Departure Record which is called an I-94. Go to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's website to ensure your travel history is accurate..

Can't Find What You're Looking For?

Search for it.

© 2021 Marian University
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Marian University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, age or disabilities in the selection of administrative personnel, faculty and staff, and students.
*Placement rates are gathered from data collected from graduates within six months of graduation.

Students may make a complaint to the Indiana Commission of Higher Education.

Marian University is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana.

Submit a Marketing Request

Website built with