They are in the top ten in the nation and you can call them powerhouses who continue to dominate! The Marian University Speech and Debate team continued excelling last month as the talented students ended their season 9th in the Nation out of 75 schools which competed in West Chester, Pennsylvania. The Pi Kappa Delta National Tournament competition means this is the sixth year in a row Marian has finished as a top 10 program overall as a few students walked away with multiple National Championships.
“I am so pleased with all of the performances as our team is simply outstanding year, after year, after year,” said Program Director and Assistant Communication Professor Drew Stewart. “Our students are very prepared and focused, tenacious, and intelligent leaders who work hard, and it shows in our continuous strong standings. I couldn’t be prouder.” The team walked away with the following awards:
- Octa-finalist: Finished within the top 32 in that event
- Quarter-finalist: Finished within the top 24 in that event
- Semi-finalist: Finished within the top 12 in that event
- Finalist: Finished within the top 6 in that event
In individual and team competition, please congratulate the following:
- Readers Theater National Champions! Team wins: Alex Rapp '24, Timothy Hosford '23, Mariangel Morales-Aparicio '24, and Nate Rodenburg '23.
- Interviewing National Champion and National Quarter-finalist in Rhetorical Criticism: Timothy Hosford '23.
- National Finalist (Fourth Place): After Dinner Speaking and National Quarter-finalist in Dramatic Duo Interpretation- Alex Rapp '24.
- National Champion in Spanish Language Platform Address and Third Place Spanish Language Impromptu Speaking - Mariangel Morales-Aparicio '24
- National Quarter-finalist in Programmed Oral Interpretation and National Semifinalist in Rhetorical Criticism-Jules Frisby '24
- National Semi-finalist in Dramatic Interpretation, National Quarter-finalist in Persuasive Speaking and Quarter-finalist in Dramatic Duo Interpretation - Natalie Rund '24
- Excellence Award (Top 30%) in After Dinner Speaking and 2x
National Quarter-finalist in Dramatic Duo Interpretation - Lydia Shock ’24
- National Quarter-finalist in Prose Interpretation- Charles Russell III '25
- Octa-finalist in Novice International Public Debate Association (IPDA) One- on- One Debate- Miguel Spaulding-Price '26
- Excellence Award (Top 30%) in Impromptu Speaking- Jeff Martin '23
- Fourth place Team Win: Readers Theater- Jeff Martin '23, Nick Kantner '24, Natalie Rund '24, Brooke Paganelli '26.
While the season is over, the impressive Speech and Debate team welcomes all Marian University undergraduate students interested in joining the team Fall 2023, no matter what their major or public speaking experience. Contact Program Director and Assistant Communication Director Drew Stewart if interested.