Arthur D. Canales, D.Min., associate professor of pastoral theology and ministry, is a third generation Mexican-American and a foremost Catholic adolescent ministry scholar in the country. Dr. Canales earned his doctorate degree from The Catholic University of America (Washington, D.C.) with an emphasis in liturgical and sacramental theology and a minor concentration in pastoral care and counseling.
Now in his third year at Marian University, Dr. Canales says he loves being a part of the creative and collaborative Department of Theology and Philosophy. Among his many publications, he has written books about cultivating spirituality in Catholic adolescents and financial stewardship for teens and young adults. This year, he has presented and been published for his work on “Models of Christian Leadership for Youth Ministry” and “Assessing our Ministry to, with, and for Catholic LGBTQ Youth.”
Q & A with Dr. Canales
What is your favorite thing to do in Indy?
I love to watch my children (Alex and Anna) compete in their sporting events: gymnastics, wrestling, baseball/softball, and soccer. I also love coaching for my son’s wrestling team. My son Albert is still too small for wrestling now, but soon.
What are you working on right now?
I am working on a book for Ave Maria Press on ministering to Catholic LGBTQ youth.
What is on your DVR or iPod?
On my DVR, there are lots of Big Ten wrestling matches and a few of my favorite TV shows: Homeland, Justified, and Game of Thrones.
Words to live by?
I have lived by these few phrases my entire life:
- “Misery loves company,” from my high school wrestling coach, Errol Bisso.
- “If you hang around quality people, that is what you will become,” from my dad, Alex Canales, Ph.D.
- “Perseverance and tenacity (and prayer), go a long way in life,” from me.
What courses do you teach?
- Introduction to Theology (Fall and Spring)
- Theology and Spirituality for Ministry (Fall)
- The Creed (Fall/Catholic School Educator Preparation Program)
- Catholic Morality (Fall/Catholic School Educator Preparation Program)
- The Sacraments (Fall/Catholic School Educator Preparation Program)
- Pastoral Administration: Polices and Procedures (Fall)
- Youth Ministry: Theological Foundations and Pastoral Perspectives (Spring)
- Introduction to the Old Testament (Spring/Catholic School Educator Preparation Program)
- Introduction to the New Testament (Spring/Catholic School Educator Preparation Program)
- Jesus of Nazareth (Spring/Catholic School Educator Preparation Program)