Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program
Marian University’s Master of Arts in Teaching program is designed to give college graduates who have a bachelor's degree in any field the chance to change careers and become K-12 teachers. If you’re looking to earn an education degree and gain the knowledge, skills, and experience to transform the lives of students and families, talk to us! Marian University has a tradition of excellence in preparing teachers who, through internships and a proven curriculum, are prepared for teaching in elementary and secondary schools.
This hybrid (on-campus and online) MAT program prepares students to pursue initial Indiana teaching licensure for elementary school teaching or secondary licensure in one or more subject areas. A concentration in English as a second language (ESL) is also available.
About the MAT program
Classes start each spring, summer, and fall semester for our part-time MAT program.
- For the first 18 months, you can continue working full-time. Classes are typically held in the evening from 6-9 p.m. throughout the week with Saturday classes from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- During the final semester, students must enroll full-time to complete the teaching internship, which will be held Monday through Friday from 7 a.m.-4 p.m. (hours may vary based on the school in which you are placed).
- In some cases, you may be eligible for a "Transition to Teaching" permit from the Indiana Department of Education. This permit will enable you to seek full-time employment as a teacher while you complete the MAT program.
- Students graduate after completing six semesters of coursework and student teaching.
Check out these frequently asked questions about Marian's MAT program.
As part of the Master of Arts in Teaching program, you'll complete a number of required education and elective courses, including subjects like:
- Second language learning
- Principles and problems of education
- Best practices in reading, language arts, and social studies
- Child development and observation
- Exceptional needs
- Assessment of learning
For complete course descriptions and more details, consult the current Marian University graduate course catalog.
What does the application process involve?
- Complete our online application.
- Official transcripts from EVERY college or university that you have attended
- Basic academic skills proficiency: Applicants are not required to earn a minimum score for admission. ALL applications will be considered.
- Praxis I: Pre-Professional Skills Test
- Earned Master’s degree with Official Transcript
- Current resume
- Recommendation forms are available via the application portal
- Personal statement
- Background check
- Non-refundable $50 application fee
- Complete interview
- Read the Marian University Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities
All admission documents must be received at least two weeks before start of each semester.
- Apply online in our application portal.
- Upload a copy of your current resume with your online application.
- A personal statement or essay (maximum 500 words) should be submitted with online application. It should:
- Explain your interest in becoming a teacher.
- Outline your professional goals.
- Describe your interest in a culture and/or language different from your own.
- Reflect on your own learning experiences.
- Send official transcripts directly to Marian University's Office of Undergraduate Admission for all previously attended high schools and colleges. For any university you attended that is not in the United States, we require a course-by-course evaluation. Evaluations must include the U.S. equivalency, a course-by-course list, and copies of the original transcripts.
If your university does not provide transcripts in English, we require a word-for-word translation of the transcript. You can translate the transcript yourself, but we recommend using a third-party translator like indytranslations.com.
- If your native language is not English, send an official English language proficiency test result directly to Marian University. Minimum acceptable scores are:
- TOEFL IBT 69
- IELTS 6.0
- ELS Level 112
- PTE 48
- Two of your professional references should be uploaded to your application portal. Recommendations from family members will not be accepted.
- Obtain a criminal history background check from the Indiana State Police – INkless. Please follow the instructions available at marian.edu/backgroundcheck to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. This will ensure that the results are sent to Marian University.
- Pay the required, non-refundable $50 online application fee.
- Thoroughly review the Marian University Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities. As an accepted student, you are expected to abide by the code outlined in this document.
Where should you send your application documents?
Send your required application documents to:
Office of Graduate Admission
3200 Cold Spring Road
Indianapolis, IN 46222-1997
What are the tuition rates?
Please visit the Business Office "Tuition Rates" page. Credit hours vary based on the program and anticipated licensure area. Degree programs are a minimum of 36 credit hours. Licensure-only programs are approximately 21 credit hours.
Cost DOES NOT include the $50 application fee, rental of cap and gown for graduation, costs for purchasing textbooks, and other university fees.
Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step toward getting federal and state aid for your graduate studies.
How can you learn more?
We periodically offer workshops for students interested in learning more about Marian University's MAT program. To be added to our notification list, email firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 955-6400. You can also download and review these materials:
Learn more about Marian's Master of Arts in Teaching program!
Marian University’s master’s in teaching program is perfect for both recent graduates and working professionals looking to pursue careers in teaching. To learn more about the MAT program, request more information today or contact Marlon Llewellyn, at email@example.com.