Masters in educational leadership program
Marian University’s Master of Arts in Educational Leadership program is designed for those with a passion for improving the educational experience of students and families. Offered through our Academy for Teaching and Learning Leadership, this hybrid program is for licensed K-12 teachers and school counselors who want to pursue leadership positions as school principals, department heads, program directors, and other types of senior administrators.
This is a part-time, two-year program during which you'll earn a master's degree and prepare for Building Level Administrator licensure by completing coursework designed to meet the Indiana Department of Education requirements and standards.
K-12 schools and higher education institutes always have a need for educators, researchers, policy-makers, and service-minded leaders. In Marian’s Educational Leadership program, you’ll gain the necessary skills to meet this demand!
Educational leadership curriculum
Marian’s Educational Leadership program consists of an innovative 38-credit curriculum on our Indianapolis campus. The first year of the program consists of foundational courses including subjects such as:
- Adaptive leadership
- Systems thinking
- Culture for high-performing schools
- School law and management
- Transformational leadership
- Teaching, learning, and talent development
- Family and community engagement
- Leadership for student learning
- Resource allocation
In the second year of the program, students take additional leadership courses, start their internships, and begin their master’s capstone project or thesis. Marian also offers a Catholic school concentration. This concentration does not require additional credits, but students must complete the following courses: Call and Culture of Catholic Schools, Law and Management of Private Schools, and Grant Writing and Fundraising.
You can view our sample course timeline, as well as the graduate course catalog for course descriptions and degree requirements.
Compared to other programs where the students in your classes may change each semester, our cohort model benefits you because you’ll be part of a tightly-knit group of peers who complete the entire program together through a blended learning format. Through the connections you’ll build in your cohort, you’ll establish strong personal relationships and a professional network that lasts a lifetime.
Educational leadership program outcomes
Marian University’s Educational Leadership program has had proven statistical success in classrooms. While standardized testing results in K-12 schools are just one measure of effective educational leadership, here are two school outcomes achieved by Marian graduates before and after they completed our program.
End-of-course assessments for algebra students
- Before: 53.2 percent
- After: 67.42 percent
Combined math and reading ISTEP scores
- Before: 57.59 percent
- After: 65.20 percent
To be eligible for admission to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree from regionally accredited institution with an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00
- A current Indiana license for employment as a K-12 teacher or school counselor
- A criminal history check through the Indiana State Police
How to apply
- Go to marian.edu/applynow and click the link for "graduate students."
- Submit official transcripts from every college and/or university that you've attended. Official transcripts are those which are sent directly to Marian University from the schools you've attended or those which are delivered to us in a sealed envelope from the school. Official transcripts may be printed on special paper. They are also embossed with the school's official seal. If you have opened the transcript's sealed envelope, it is NOT official and we cannot accept it.
- Complete a criminal history check through the Indiana State Police.
- Provide us with two letters of recommendation from professional references.
- Participate in a phone interview during which we'll measure your leadership competencies.
- Complete a behavioral interview so that we can evaluate your leadership actions.
Learn more about Marian's masters in educational leadership program!
Marian University’s Master of Arts in Educational Leadership provides students with the skills needed to pursue leadership positions in public, private, and Catholic schools. Interested in learning more? Request more information today!