Ron Toth, Ph.D., adjunct professor of biology, earned his Ph.D. in Botany from the University of Massachusetts. He was a Professor of Biology at Northern Illinois University until his retirement in 2010. While at NIU, his primary research was concerned with the ultrastructure of changes in host cells in various plants with mycorrhizal fungi. For the past 20 plus years, Dr. Toth has been working on assembling a large collection of color images of land plants to be used for teaching. Dr. Toth is world renowned for his incredibly diverse collection of images that helps students understand plant structures and their evolution.
Education Ph.D., Botany, University of Massachusetts, 1975
B.S., Botany, Cornell University, 1970
Research interests / portfolio
- Ultrastructural changes of brown algae during reproduction
- Ultrastructure changes in host cells with mycorrhizal fungi
- Toth, R. and R.T. Wilce. 1972. Viruslike particles in the marine alga Chorda tomentosa Lyngbye (Phaeophyceae). J. Phycol. 8:126‑130.
- Toth, R. 1972. Zoosporogenesis in the genus Chorda. Project Poseidon, Boston University/Sea Grant 1:1‑5. (refereed only by editor)
- Toth, R. and D. Markey. 1973. Synaptonemal complexes in brown algae. Nature 243:236-237.
- Toth, R. 1974. Sporangial structure and zoosporogenesis in Chorda tomentosa (Laminariales). J. Phycol. 10:170‑185.
- Duckett, J.G., R. Toth, and S. Soni. 1975. An ultrastructural study of the Azolla, Anabaena azollae relationship. New Phytol. 75:111‑118.
- Toth, R. 1976. The release, settlement and germination of zoospores in Chorda tomentosa (Phaeophyceae, Laminariales). J. Phycol. 12:222‑233.
- Toth, R. 1976. A mechanism of propagule release from unilocular reproductive structures in brown algae. Protoplasma 89:263‑278.
- Kuijt, J. and R. Toth. 1976. Ultrastructure of angiosperm haustoria‑a review. Ann. Bot. 40:1121‑1130.
- Toth, R. and J. Kuijt. 1976. Anatomy and ultrastructure of the young haustorial gland in Comandra (Santalaceae). Can. J. Bot. 54:2315‑2327.
- Toth, R. and J. Kuijt. 1977. Anatomy and ultrastructure of the haustorium in Comandra (Santalaceae). Can. J. Bot. 55:455‑469.
- Toth, R. and J. Kuijt. 1977. Cytochemical localization of acid phosphatase in endophyte cells of the semiparasitic angiosperm Comandra umbellata (Santalaceae). Can. J. Bot. 55:470‑475.
- Duckett, J.G. and R. Toth. 1977. Ultrastructural studies of variegated plants. I. Giant mitochondria in a periclinal chimera, Ficus elastica Roxb. forma variegata. Ann. Bot. 41:903‑912.
- Toth, R. and J. Kuijt. 1977. Cytochemical studies on the gland in the primary haustorium of Phthirusa (Loranthaceae). Can. J. Bot. 55:2011‑2013.
- Toth, R. and J. Kuijt. 1978. An ultrastructural study of the abscission zone of the explosive fruit of Arceuthobium. Bot. Gaz. 139:158‑164.
- Toth, R., D. Toth and B. Nordbring‑Hertz. 1980. Cytochemical localization of acid phosphatase in the nematode‑trapping fungus Arthrobotrys oligospora. Mycologia 72:813‑817.
- Kariya, N. and R. Toth. 1981. Ultrastructure of the vesicular‑arbuscular mycorrhizal association formed between Zea diploperennis and Glomus fasciculatus. Mycologia 73:1027‑1039.
- Toth, R. and D. Smith. 1982. Histopathological changes in susceptible corn inoculated with Helminthosporium maydis race 0. Mycopathologia 77:75‑82.
- Smith, D. and R. Toth. 1982. Histopathological changes in resistant (rhm) corn inoculated with Helminthosorium maydis race 0. Mycopathologia 77:83‑88.
- Toth, R. and D. Toth. 1982. Quantifying vesicular‑arbuscular mycorrhizae using a morphometric technique. Mycologia 74:182‑187.
- Toth, R. 1982. An introduction to morphometric cytology and its application to botanical research. Amer. J. Bot. 69:1694‑1706.
- Toth, R. and R.M. Miller. 1984. Dynamics of arbuscule development and degeneration in a Zea mays mycorrhiza. Amer. J. Bot. 71:449‑460.
- Toth, R., T. Page and R. Castleberry. 1984. Differences in mycorrhizal colonization of maize selections for high and low ear leaf phosphorus. Crop Sci. 24:994‑996.
- Uphoff, C., C. Nyquist‑Battie and R. Toth. 1984. Cardiac muscle development in mice exposed to ethanol in utero. Teratology 30:119‑129.
- Kuijt, J. and R. Toth. 1985. Structure of the host‑parasite interface of Boschniakia hookeri Warpers (Orobanchaceae). Acta Bot. Neer. 34:257‑270.
- Alexander, T., R. Meier, R. Toth and H.‑C. Weber. 1988. Dynamics of arbuscule development and degeneration in VA mycorrhizae of wheat and oats with reference to maize. New Phytologist 110:363‑370.
- Alexander, T., R. Toth, R. Meier and H.‑C. Weber. 1989. Dynamics of arbuscule development and degeneration in onion, bean and tomato, with reference to VA mycorrhizae in grasses. Canadian Journal of Botany 67:2505‑2513.
- Toth, R., D. Toth, D. Starke, and D.R. Smith. 1990. VA Mycorrhizal colonization in Zea mays affected by breeding for resistance to fungal pathogens. Canad. J. Bot. 68:1039-1044.
- Toth, R., C. Doane, E. Bennett, and T. Alexander. 1990. Correlation between host-fungus surface areas and percent colonization in VA mycorrhizae. Mycologia 82:518‑521.
- Toth, R., R.M. Miller, A. Jarstfer, T. Alexander and E. Bennett. 1991. Relationship between internal fungal biovolume and percent colonization in VA mycorrhizae. Mycologia 83:553‑558.
- Miller, J. S. and Toth, R. 2014. The Process of Scientific Inquiry as it Relates to the Creation/Evolution Controversy: I. A Serious Social Problem. Amer. Biol. Teacher. (in press).
- Toth, R. 1992. The quantification of arbuscules and related structures using morphometric cytology. In (Ed.) J.R. Norris, D. Read and A.K. Varma. Methods in Mirobiology. Academic Press, London. Vol. 24. pp. 275-300.