Seeking essay, poetry, and photograph submissions
How does food impact our place in community? How does food create, sustain, or disrupt communities?
Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2018.
Food provides energy, sustains life, and gives us reason to come together around a table. Food generates memories through time-honored recipes and traditions, provides opportunities for employment, and fuels community development.
Sometimes, food also generates anxiety or triggers unwelcome memories for those who are experiencing or have experienced chronic hunger or poverty. These tensions about food, however, extend beyond issues of poverty and hunger. They can include condescending stares in checkout lines, conflict at family dinner tables, or judgment by kids in a school lunchroom.
The Flanner Community Writing Center and Marian University Writing Center seek creative and critical submissions from novice and professional writers and photographers that explore intersections between food, community, and identity.
We ask for essays, poems, and photographs from residents of Central Indiana that tell honest and captivating stories about how food impacts and shapes our place in community. Writers and photographers of all ages and abilities are encouraged to submit their work.
Awards and recognition
- First place entries in each category (essay, poetry, photography) will receive $100. Second place entries in each category will receive $50.
- Authors of first place, second place, and runner up selections will be invited to publish their works in a book to be released March 2019.
- Judges from Marian University and the Northwest Area of Indianapolis will select first place,second place, and runners up for each submission category.
- Winners will be notified no later than Friday, January 25, 2019.
- Email submissions to email@example.com
- Include a cover page that identifies the author’s name, mailing address, phone number, preferred email address, and title of submission(s).
- Essays and poems should be submitted as PDF files. Photographs should be submitted as a high-resolution jpg files. A url may also be submitted for photographs.
- Essays should be between 1,500-7,500 words. Poems should be no longer than two pages. Photographic submissions may consist of a single photograph or a collection of no more than ten photographs.
- Multiple submissions will be accepted, but authors/ photographers will only receive one first or second place award in one category.
- Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2018.
- Authors/photographers must reside within Indiana.
Writers are encouraged (but not required) to work with a Flanner Community Writing Center consultant before submitting their entry.
Appointments can be scheduled by visiting marian.edu/flannerwriting or calling the Marian University Writing Center at (317) 955-6244.