Scholarships and Financial Aid

All financial arrangements for study abroad are the responsibility of the student. Neither the director of study abroad at Marian University nor participating faculty can assist in the student's financial arrangements or payment plans for any off-campus study abroad experience.

Students are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid to determine which scholarships, grants, and federal and state aid can be applied to an off-campus study abroad experience. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 317.955.6040 or

Scholarships and Grants

Global Studies – students registered with a minor in Global Studies should contact Dr. Pierre  Atlas, Director of Global Studies, for specific information.

Marian University – financial aid through Marian University may apply. A finance planning form is available from Sr. Margaretta in the study abroad office and is part of the planning process. After selection of a program and estimating costs, consult the Director of Financial Aid about your need.

AIFS (American Institute for Foreign Study) – students who apply for a program coordinated through AIFS receive an Affiliate Grant of $400 for a semester or $200 for a summer program.   AIFS also offers competitive scholarships which range from $500 to 50 percent of program costs. Contact Sr. Margaretta Black, Study Abroad office.

IFSA (Institute for Study Abroad) – Students who apply for a program coordinated through IFSA can apply for one of several memorial scholarships which range from $500/summer to $1500/semester, or more. These are competitive. Contact Study Abroad office.

Gilman Scholarship – All students who receive a Federal Pell Grant are eligible to apply for a Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship for summer, semester or year-long study abroad programs. These are competitive. For information about criteria and deadlines, see web site

Additional External Scholarship Opportunities

Useful information

  • According to the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act (102-325), federal financial aid is transferable and applicable to study abroad. 
  • Select scholarships for short and long-term study abroad programs are available from Honors. Information on these scholarships can be obtained through Dr. Ray Haberski.  

For More Information, Contact

Wendy Westphal, Ph.D. 
Director of Study Abroad
Clare Hall 020A


Can't Find What You're Looking For?

Search for it.