Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Respondus LockDown Browser prevents students from printing, copying, going to different URLs or accessing other applications during an online exam. It’s ideal for use in testing centers and proctored environments.
Respondus Monitor enhances LockDown Browser by using a student’s webcam to record the assessment session. This enables online exams to be taken in non-proctored environments and deters students from accessing other resources during an exam (such as a phone, a second computer, etc.). It also ensures the right student is taking the exam, and that the student isn’t getting help from others
New Quizzes Information: Respondus is notable because, as of now, it is the only monitoring solution that functions with New Quizzes. However, until Canvas releases the code for New Quizzes to outside developers, that functionality can be unstable. If you are wanting to use Lockdown Browser for a Quiz, it is recommended then that you use a Classic Quiz rather than a New Quiz. If you have any questions regarding this, contact Blake in the CTL.
Further resources for Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitcan be found on the Respondus Overview and Resource page.
Each installation of the LockDown Browser is associated with a particular institution. If you open Respondus LockDown Browser and find that it opens to a Learning Management System (Canvas or Blackboard for example) that is not Marian's, then you will need to download and install Marian's version of LDB following the instructions below. This is most common if you have used LDB with a different school in the past and still have their install on your computer.
To install LockDown Browser:
First verify that your computer meets the following requirements:
- Operating System:
- Windows 8 or 10 (Windows 10S is not compatible with LDB)
- MacOS 10.12 or higher
- iOS: 11.0 or higher (only for use on iPad, and the instructor has to enable iPad use)
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on hard drive
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on hard drive
For Windows computers
- Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Windows.
- Double-click the installation program where you saved the file from step 1 and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking the shortcut on the desktop.
For Macintosh computers
- Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Macintosh.
- Click the Install button to begin the installation, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking "Applications" and selecting "LockDown Browser."
- If you are using an iPad, please access the instructions from Respondus' Knowledge Base.
- If you are taking a LockDown Browser exam and have trouble, immediately contact your instructor and let them know what is going on.
- If your instructor has Respondus webcam monitoring turned on, contact Respondus Support within the Respondus window by selecting the 24/7 Live Chat Help at the top of the program page.
- If you are not required to use the Webcam, visit Respondus Support page to see support articles and/or submit a ticket directly to Respondus.
Respondus 4.0 is a powerful tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Canvas. Exams can be created offline using a familiar Windows environment, and imported into Canvas.
Respondus 4.0 is available for any faculty or staff member to use on their own computer. Please contact the CTL for instructions.