Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser for instructors giving exams and the students who take them in Canvas.
It prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Canvas quiz, exam, or assignment requires Respondus LockDown Browser, students will not be able to complete the work with a standard web browser.
Respondus LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Canvas exams or graded quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas. Licenses are limited, so please let the CTL know if you are planning to use this in your course.
Watch this video for an overview of Respondus LockDown Browser. You can also download the Student Quick Start Guide.
- If Respondus LockDown Browser has already been installed, skip to the next section.
- To download and install Respondus LockDown Browser, follow these steps.
For Windows computers Confirm that you are running Windows 7, 8, or 10 on your computer. Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Windows. Save the file to your computer's desktop or My Documents. Double-click the installation program called "LockDownSFX.exe" where you saved the file from step 2 and follow the onscreen instructions. Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking the shortcut on the desktop.
For Macintosh computers
- Be sure that you are using OSX 10.5 or higher with 512K RAM as a minimum, and have Safari installed on your computer.
- Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Macintosh. (http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/information.pl?ID=387943543).
- Click the Install button to begin the installation, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking "Applications" and selecting "LockDown Browser."
Taking an assessment
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect to the Internet.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop (or from the Start menu) and double-click it for Windows users, or for Macintosh users, launch "LockDown Browser" from the Applications folder.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g., instant messaging), choose Yes. If you do not close the blocked program, Respondus LockDown Browser closes. If you are prompted to close another application, but that application is not running, try restarting your computer and then run the Respondus LockDown Browser.
- After the program starts, log in to your Canvas course.
- Navigate to the exam/quiz.
- Read the instructions and click Begin Assessment.
- If the Begin Assessment button is disabled, it means you are not running Respondus LockDown Browser. Return to step 1 above.
- Once an assessment is started, you cannot exit until the Finish button is clicked.
If you attempt to take the assessment using a browser other than Respondus LockDown Browser, a warning message is displayed and the "Begin Assessment" button is dimmed, preventing you from continuing.
Trouble-shooting and FAQs
- LockDown Browser stops responding after you enter Canvas, but before you start the quiz or exam.
Some security pop-up windows may appear behind the LockDown Browser window. These pop-ups require you to click "OK" before taking you to the next Canvas page. Because LockDown Browser will not let you move or resize the window, you cannot get to the pop-up resulting in the browser to stop responding. Thus, the LockDown Browser may display a blank page. Since you have not started the assessment, close the LockDown Browser and click "OK" in the pop-up. Immediately start LockDown Browser and start your quiz or exam.
- LockDown Browser stops responding while taking a quiz or exam.
If your computer has multiple Java installations, or you lose your Internet connection while taking an assessment, the LockDown Browser may stop working. If this happens, restart your computer by powering off the computer, wait a minute, and then turn it on again. Start the LockDown Browser and then immediately exit to reset the Start button options (Windows) or to get the toolbar to reappear (Mac). Start the LockDown Browser again. If the time has not elapsed for your assessment, login to Canvas again and continue taking your assessment. If the time for your assessment has expired, please contact your instructor and explain the situation.
If you have questions or problems using the Respondus LockDown Browser software, contact the Center for Teaching and Learning at email@example.com