Skip to content

Indiana Driver's License

You will need to have an Indiana driver's license if...

  • You do not have a driver's license from your home country
  • You have a foreign license and international driving permit, but you have been in the United States for more than one year
  • You have another state's license 

Please carefully read the following information based on the above conditions.

All Indiana residents must take a written test to obtain a driver's license. Study the driver's manual before you go so you are prepared

Check out the list of required documents to prove your identification and residency.

No License

If you do not have a license from your home country, the first step in getting an Indiana driver's license is to obtain a learner's permit. A learner's permit allows you to practice driving under supervision of a licensed driver so that you can learn the rules of the road well enough to pass the necessary driver's license tests.

For more information on obtaining a learner's permit, please see the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

Your learner's permit will have an expiration date. You must obtain a permanent driver's license before the expiration date, otherwise you will need to begin the process again from the beginning.

When you are ready to apply for your license, see the BMV's site for more information.

International Driver's Permit

You may drive for one year in the United States using a driver's license from your home country and an International Driver's Permit (IDP).

An IDP is a special license authorized by the United Nations and is proof that you hold a valid driver's license in your own country. It also provides a translation so that others can read your license information. You must obtain an IDP in your home country before arriving to the United States. The United States does not issue IDPs to nonresidents.

The process for obtaining an IDP varies by country. Contact your home country's driver license agency to learn about the process. Be sure that the organization providing the IDP is a government agency. Do not purchase your IDP online, as it may not be accepted in the United States.

You must have both an unexpired IDP and unexpired driver's license to legally drive.

When you are ready to apply for your Indiana license, see the BMV's site for more information.

Moving from Another U.S. State

If you are moving from another U.S. state and driving with another state's license, you are required to obtain an Indiana driver's license within 60 days. 

For more information on the process, please see the BMV's website.

BMV Locations

There are various BMV locations around campus, but the nearest one is the Midtown branch is at 4050 Meadows Parkway. Check out the locations for details on hours of operation.

Can't Find What You're Looking For?

Search for it.

© 2021 Marian University
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Marian University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, age or disabilities in the selection of administrative personnel, faculty and staff, and students.
*Placement rates are gathered from data collected from graduates within six months of graduation.

Students may make a complaint to the Indiana Commission of Higher Education.

Marian University is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana.

Submit a Marketing Request

Website built with