Marian University's Ancilla College started out as Ancilla Domini College, in Donaldson, Indiana, and was sponsored by the Congregation of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ. It was established in 1937 and accredited by the Indiana State Board of Education. Prior to that year, Ancilla functioned as an extension of DePaul University of Chicago under a charter granted to the Poor Handmaids in 1925.
Originally, Ancilla Domini College provided higher education only for prospective members of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ. With the expansion of the college in 1966, the College broadened its liberal arts curriculum and admitted students from the surrounding geographical area, awarding an associate degree to members of the public for the first time in 1967.
In 2020, Ancilla Domini College signed an agreement with Marian University in collaboration of mission to continue to bring higher education to the area. July 2021, Marian University opened a new campus location called Marian University's Ancilla College in honor of the legacy of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ.
Ancilla Domini College of Marian University was established as an extension of DePaul University of Chicago under a charter granted to the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ in 1925. Originally, Ancilla Domini College provided higher education for prospective members of the Congregation of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ.
Ancilla Domini College became accredited by the Indiana State Board of Education.
Ancilla Domini College incorporated as a separate entity from the religious congregation which founded it. A board of trustees consisting of Sisters and leaders from the surrounding communities is now charged with maintaining its academic mission while addressing the education needs of the local community.
Because of the needed expansion of college facilities, Ancilla Domini College broadened its liberal arts curriculum and admitted students from the surrounding geographical area, awarding an associate degree for the first time in 1967. Since 1966 Ancilla Domini College has augmented its liberal arts program with various career preparation offerings.
Ancilla Domini College has maintained accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission.
A Student Success Center was established to meet the individual academic needs of traditional and non-traditional students.
Ancilla athletic teams began participating in the National Junior College Athletic Association and, since 2000, the Michigan Community College Athletic Association.
Ground was broken to address science and technology needs. The new wing, completed in January 2003, consists of computer and science labs, classrooms, and offices. The renovation of the original science laboratory in 2004 produced a state-of-the-art nursing lab.
Ancilla Domini College reorganized several services into an Advising Center to serve all new students and all students with academic needs.
Ancilla Domini College built two new residence halls to accommodate students to live on campus. Brand-new, double-occupancy rooms with private bathrooms in quiet, clean, three-story residence halls with fireplaces, media centers, study areas, and meditation rooms.
Ancilla Domini College signed an agreement in collaboration with Marian University to continue bringing education to Northern Indiana.
Marian University announced its newest campus location, Marian University's Ancilla College, named in honor of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ.
Marian University starts an accredited Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program on the Ancilla campus.
© 2021 Marian University
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Marian University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, age or disabilities in the selection of administrative personnel, faculty and staff, and students.
*Placement rates are gathered from data collected from graduates within six months of graduation.
Students may make a complaint to the Indiana Commission of Higher Education.
Marian University is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana.
Submit a Marketing Request
Website built with