The Nina Mason Pulliam EcoLab is currently searching for a full time Restoration Ecologist.
Background: The Nina Mason Pulliam (NMP) EcoLab is 55 acres of wetland and lowland forest that was originally a landscape designed using native plants by Jens Jensen in 1912 and is now part of Marian University’s Indianapolis, Indiana campus. It is currently being used by Marian University as an environmental learning laboratory, an environmental and historical education tool for the local community, and a location for basic and applied ecological research. The primary mission of the NMP EcoLab is to create more and better environmental citizens.
Job Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Work with the NMP EcoLab Science Director to:
- Assist with the integration and use of the EcoLab as a science lab for the School of Math and Science.
- Do ecological restoration and infrastructure improvements including invasive vegetation removal, native vegetation enhancement, trail maintenance, technology maintenance, and historical restoration of the 55-acre EcoLab property with MU interns, volunteers, Scouts, and K-12 students.
- Assist in the Environmental education efforts of the EcoLab by coordinating hands-on conservation opportunities “in the field.”
- Provide general public programming such as bird walks, wildflower hikes, and other on-campus events as well as off-campus speaking and other engagements such as at conferences, libraries, and area schools.
- Assist the development and leading of targeted programming in the NMP EcoLab for High School science and environmental students.
- Help with outreach and collaborations for the NMP EcoLab through social media and other venues.
- At least a bachelor of science degree in biology, ecology, or natural resources or significant experience in environmental work,
- strong interpersonal skills,
- experience in environmental outreach and education,
- experience in trail work and habitat restoration,
- a strong back and proven work ethic, and
- ability to conduct sustained, self-directed work with minimal supervision.
This employee will be required to work outside in all weather conditions. This is a labor-intensive position. The employee will use power equipment.
Marian University, founded in Indianapolis in 1937, is the only Catholic liberal arts university in central Indiana. It is a private, co-education school and serves both a traditional and non-traditional student body of more than 2,700 from 32 states and eight countries through dedication to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions. Marian University is one of Indiana’s 31 independent colleges and one of 244 Catholic colleges and universities nationwide. In 2010, the university announced it would develop the first college of osteopathic medicine in Indiana. Housed in the Michael A. Evans Center for Health Sciences, the osteopathic medical school welcomed its first class of students in the fall of 2013.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a current resume/CV, a letter of application, and names and addresses of three current references. Only complete applicant packets submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org will be considered. No phone calls please.
Marian University is an EOE