Career services center receives accolades for preparing students for long-term success
Marian University’s career services center, The Exchange, has received a special accolade for its outstanding career development initiatives for undergraduate students. This is an additional recognition from Colleges of Distinction, an organization that promotes schools with engaging undergraduate experiences focused on student success.
In a precarious global economy, students are pursuing a college degree with the expectation that it will help launch a career they are passionate about. And while earning a bachelor’s degree is a great start, there are many other things colleges can provide their students with a significant advantage in the job market. The Exchange’s career development award from Colleges of Distinction confirms that its career services go above and beyond the norm, supporting students with comprehensive four-year plans, personalized advising, and more. One of the most common questions on students' minds is, "What will I do after graduation?" Fortunately, schools that receive the career development recognition have proven their ability to help students transition into post-graduation life with confidence. This recognition is given to institutions that offer comprehensive four-year plans, personalized advising, and more.
“We are very impressed with the ways that Marian University helps students transition into post-graduation life with confidence,” said Tyson Schritter, chief operating officer at Colleges of Distinction. “The resources and unwavering support it gives students all throughout their academic journey sets them up for successful, fulfilling careers in whatever field they choose.” Some notable resources offered by Marian University’s career services department include:
Integrated Career Exploration and Preparation
- Introduction to the career services office during new student orientation and the first semester
- Collaboration with academic departments to integrate career resources into the classroom
- Guidance to help students navigate the services available at different stages of their academic journey
- Emphasis on career and major exploration across all fields of study
Accessible Programs and Training
- 24/7 online access to career services resources
- One-on-one counseling appointments for personalized assistance
- Services such as self-assessments, résumé and cover letter writing, interview preparation, and networking support
- Workshops and events to enhance job search skills and receive feedback
Dedicated, Career-Centered Staff
- Both career and personal assessments to help students gain self-awareness and explore their interests
- Employ dedicated staff members for employer relations and corporate partnerships
- Facilitate mentorship and internship programs to connect students with alumni and industry professionals
"The Career Development recognition goes beyond standard offerings like mock interviews and job boards," added Schritter. " Marian University integrates career readiness into the curriculum, establishing meaningful connections between students across majors and their future careers. This innovative and comprehensive approach to career preparation is what sets Marian University's career center apart and deserving of this recognition."