Marian University, a vibrant institution that has experienced extraordinary recent growth and success, seeks an experienced, entrepreneurial and visionary academic leader to serve as the Executive Vice President and Provost (EVP/Provost). Reporting to the President, the EVP/Provost serves as the University’s chief academic officer and chief operating officer, providing leadership and budgetary oversight for all academic deans and faculty, student success, enrollment, athletics, the University health sciences area, the medical school and all professional schools. The EVP/Provost will help lead the University as it continues to distinguish itself as a premier academic institution firmly rooted in Catholic Franciscan values, and educating leaders who will fashion a more just and humane world.
An accomplished and innovative academic leader, the successful candidate will be an experienced and respected leader who possesses both an academic background and an open, creative and collaborative management style. The candidate will have senior-level experience in academic leadership that includes a record of developing academic programs; recruiting, developing and cultivating a diverse faculty; promoting a dynamic learning environment; and fostering scholarly activities. The successful candidate will be effective at leading in an organizational environment that is fast-paced and innovative, which encourages nontraditional ways of thinking about higher education.
The new EVP/Provost will be charged with providing visionary leadership as the chief academic officer of the institution, and will partner with the President and University leadership to operationalize and advance the mission, values, and strategic vision of Marian. In this role, the EVP/Provost will support the Catholic and Franciscan intellectual tradition at the University, while recruiting, retaining, and developing an accomplished and growing faculty. The new EVP/Provost will work in partnership with faculty to enhance existing academic programs and to spearhead the creation of new academic programs. As Marian engages in rapid growth and change, the EVP/Provost will improve academic systems, processes, and technology to keep pace with the University’s operation. S/he will emphasize student success and enrollment in new and existing programs, while contributing to a community and culture of diversity and inclusion among Marian’s faculty, staff, and students. The EVP/Provost will shepherd a culture of trust, mutual respect, and transparency among Marian’s growing and complex campus constituents, and ensure smooth functioning in promoting the University’s mission.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
While no single candidate will have all the ideal qualifications, Marian University seeks candidates who bring many of the following experience, abilities and qualities:
- A Ph.D. or other doctoral degree in an academic or professional field;
- A track record of successful academic and administrative leadership as provost, associate/assistant provosts, or dean, preferably at an institution with professional/graduate education;
- A deep commitment to/or familiarity with Catholic education, Franciscan sponsorship values, and the promotion of academic priorities in line with the University’s educational mission
- Proven ability to serve as an executive and provide visionary strategic leadership, an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit willing to take calculated risks, and a commitment to multidisciplinary education;
- An ability to plan and implement strategic initiatives and to inspire, motivate, develop and mentor faculty;
- A collaborative and forward-thinking leadership style;
- A keen analytic mind, utilizing data to inform decision-making and the capacity to identify and think strategically about opportunities for creative collaboration and a talent for bringing others on board and building momentum toward a common goal;
- Superior communication skills; the ability to articulate a compelling message and the mission of Marian University to all audiences; clarity, crispness, and effectiveness in written and oral presentation; and good listening skills;
- Successful experience in executing academic strategies in a complex and comprehensive university, marked by growth and change, that includes undergraduate, graduate and professional programs;
- A personal commitment to the education of a diverse student body and a record of recruiting and supporting faculty and administrators to advance diversity;
- A track record of success in budget management and fiscal accountability;
- Experience spearheading the development of new academic programs grounded in mission, markets, and potential revenue;
- A genuinely collaborative leadership style, marked by a willingness to act decisively, in a firm but diplomatic fashion;
- An inquisitive, creative thinker, innovator, and risk taker willing to take chances; and
- Energy, integrity, passion, openness, trustworthiness, and an abiding sense of humor.
Located just 10 minutes from the heart of Indianapolis, Marian University is a co-educational, comprehensive, Catholic institution of higher learning rooted in the liberal arts. Since its inception, the University has grown from a small campus of 24 students to a regional institution serving over 3,452 full-and part-time students. Named a “Best Regional University” by U.S. News & World Report, Marian offers more than 60 undergraduate and graduate degrees, through the doctoral level. The institution’s 2,214 undergraduate and 1,238 graduate and adult program students benefit from a 13:1 student-to-faculty ratio and a financial aid commitment of more than $32 million, which allows more than 90 percent of all full-time undergraduates to receive financial aid. Marian has over 260 full-and part-time faculty.
Marian University has retained the services of Isaacson, Miller, a national executive search firm, to assist in their search for the Executive Vice President and Provost. All inquiries, nominations, and applications will be held in confidence and should be directed to the firm as noted at the end of this document.
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately on a confidential basis until an appointment is made. All inquiries, nominations/referrals, and applications (including curriculum vitae and letters of interest responding to the position challenges and objectives outlined above) should be submitted via Isaacson, Miller’s website:
Dan Rodas, Vice President
Gregg Glover, Senior Associate