Building Level Administrator
Is your career goal to work as a school principal, program director, and administrator in elementary or secondary school settings?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national employment outlook for elementary, middle, and high school principals is expected to grow by at least six percent through 2024.
Learn more about our building level administrator curriculum, which is designed to meet Indiana Department of Education licensure standards and requirements.
Why choose the BLA program at Marian?
This part-time, cohort-based program can be completed in about one year. It is ideal for licensed K-12 teachers who want to expand their career options by working in school leadership positions.
As a student in the BLA program, you'll complete a curriculum that combines academic rigor, hands-on learning, classroom sessions, supplemental reading, and extensive collaboration with your cohort peers.
- You will complete the same 28 credits of foundational coursework as Master of Arts in Educational Leadership students.
- You will not, however, complete directed electives, a master's research project or thesis, or an internship as part of the BLA curriculum.
What will you study?
Among the subjects and topics you'll explore are:
- Authentic leadership
- Systems thinking
- Culture for high-performing schools
- School management
- Transformational leadership
- Teaching, learning, and talent development
- Family and community engagement
- Leadership for Student Learning
- Resource allocation
Eligibility for admission:
To be eligible for admission to Marian's BLA licensure-only program, you must have:
- An Indiana K-12 teaching or school counselor license
- A master's degree in education or other field with a minimum 3.00 GPA
To apply for admission:
- Go to marian.edu/applynow and click the link for "graduate students."
- Send us official transcripts from every college and/or university that you've attended. Official transcripts are those which are sent directly to Marian University from the schools you've attended or those which are delivered to us in a sealed envelope from the school. Official transcripts may be printed on special paper. They are also embossed with the school's official seal. If you have opened the transcript's sealed envelope, it is NOT official and we cannot accept it.
- Complete a limited criminal history check through the Indiana State Police.
- Provide us with three letters of recommendation from professional references.
- Complete our application questionnaire.
- Participate in a phone interview during which we'll measure your leadership competencies.
- Complete a behavioral interview so that we can evaluate your leadership actions.