These guidelines and procedures are to ensure that Qualtrics is used for applications within the Marian University license agreement and that all relevant university policies, procedures, and guidelines are followed.
Qualtrics - Qualtrics is a web-based survey tool that allows users to create and distribute online surveys as well as capture and analyze survey data.
University Brand Administrator - The University Brand Administrator is a staff member in the Office of Information Technology responsible for ensuring the appropriate use and ongoing functionality of Qualtrics.
Employee - An employee is a faculty or staff member employed by Marian University.
Sponsor - A sponsor is an employee who will provide general oversight of Marian University students using Qualtrics.
- Use of Qualtrics is subject to the same Technology Use Policy as other Marian University computing resources as set forth by the Office of Information Technology. Users must comply with all other applicable university policies and state and federal laws.
- If you are using Qualtrics survey software to collect data from human subjects for research or dissemination, you must adhere to policies and procedures set forth by the Marian University Institutional Review Board (IRB). If you have questions concerning appropriate protocols for the collection and storage of sensitive or confidential data, please consult with the Marian University IRB.
- Qualtrics users will protect the privacy and confidentiality of human subjects and other institutional information as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more comprehensive information, please visit the Department of Education's FERPA page.
- The Marian University logo may be used only when surveys are administered as part of official University business and in accordance with institutional identity guidelines.
- Proper authorization or permissions are required for the use of copyright material or third party logos used in the survey. Please contact Academic Technology Services if you are unclear about fair use or copyright laws.
- Employee “Sponsors” are responsible for general oversight of acceptable and responsible use of Qualtrics among their students in accordance with university policies.
- Qualtrics will archive and retain surveys and survey responses indefinitely. However, users are responsible for archiving their data to other media such as a local drive prior to expiration of their Qualtrics accounts. Marian University is not responsible for archiving or retrieving old data.
- Marian University reserves the right to change, at any time, at its sole discretion, the Marian University Qualtrics offering and these guidelines and procedures.
Only Marian University employees and students are permitted to access the Marian University Qualtrics survey system. However, it is still possible to collaborate with external users. By accessing a Qualtrics account, users agree to adhere to the Marian University Qualtrics Guidelines and Procedures.
How to Access Your Marian University Qualtrics Account:
- Access to Qualtrics survey software requires a Marian University username and password. Users can access Qualtrics by clicking here.
- Users will enter their Marian University email credentials (username and password). The username is the first part of the Marian University email address (do not enter the @marian.edu). If a user has forgotten his or her email credentials, he or she can contact the Marian University Helpdesk via phone at 317.955.6444 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When users log in for the first time, Qualtrics will prompt them with a dialog box. Users should select “I don't have a Qualtrics account.” Users who have or had a Qualtrics account with another institution should also select “I don't have a Qualtrics account.” Qualtrics accounts across institutions will remain separate.
- Employee user accounts are automatically set to the “Standard” user type. The “Standard” user type includes full functionality.
Student user accounts are automatically set to the “Default” user type. The “Default” user type has very limited functionality.
In order to use the full survey system, students will need to request the employee sponsor contact the Marian University Helpdesk via phone at 317.955.6444 or by email at email@example.com
to open a helpdesk ticket. All pertinent information will be sent to the University Brand Administrator in order to have the student's account changed from "Default" to "Standard."
Account Expiration Dates
The student’s account will be set up with an expiration date. In general, expiration dates will coincide with the conclusion of the student's survey project. The expiration date will be determined by the sponsoring employee. Once a student's account meets the expiration date, his or her account will be disabled.
Employee accounts will not be configured to expire. The Marian University Brand Administrator will audit the list of employee users once per academic year to reconcile any outstanding accounts.
The surveys created or the responses supplied using Marian University Qualtrics Survey Software do not in any way constitute official Marian University content. The views and opinions expressed in surveys created with Qualtrics are strictly those of the survey's primary author. Marian University makes no representations or warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, as to the Marian University Qualtrics Survey Software operation or the information, content or materials included.
To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Marian University hereby disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including by not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose. Marian University will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of or inability to use Qualtrics Survey Software. The user expressly agrees to use Qualtrics Survey Software solely at his/her own risk.