Bill Foley's photographic career began in 1974 when he purchased an East German Hanimex Praktica Super TL SLR camera. Shortly after, he began to study the work of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Andre Kertez, Gordon Parks, Carl Mydans and W. Eugene Smith, and others as he saw where he wanted to go and how he would get there. Foley set his sights on becoming a photojournalist and working around the world, telling stories, documenting the news and making a difference with his images.
With drive, ambition and talent, by September of 1978, Bill was an Associated Press contract photographer based in Cairo Egypt. He was now covering Egyptian President Anwar Sadat as well as other stories in the area.
40 years later, Foley, who grew up in Indianapolis, has worked in over 49 countries, and seen his work published in every major newspaper and magazine around the world, has won the Pulitzer prize as well as a number of other awards, and been named an Indiana University distinguished Journalism School alumni. In 2015, his 40 year retrospective was on display in a 5,000 square foot gallery at the Indiana State Museum: "Art Meets News" March-July 2015
Bill began teaching at New York University, where from 1999-2005, he taught in the Tisch school of the arts. He has taught workshops in Dubai, NYC, Los Angeles, Indianapolis and in 2016 at the Florence University of the arts.
Since 2007, Bill has been teaching students at Marian how to not only make great story telling images, but how to meet new people/strangers while being thoughtful, serious, inquisitive and caring human beings.
- Bachelor of Arts, Indiana University
- National Press Photographers Association NPPA
- Society for Photographic Education SPE
- ART 155 Beginning Photography
- ART 255 Photography I Lens on Society
- ART 355 Photography II
- ART 365 Methods in Photography/Darkroom techniques
- ART 366 Alternative Processes
- ARH 370 History of Photography
Selected recent exhibitions
- Faculty group show, Marian Hall Gallery August 2017, Marian University.
- Solo Show;'The Twilight of Oldenburg", Solo show, portraits of the Sisters of St. Francis in Oldenburg, Indiana 2015-2017. October/November Evans Center gallery, Marian University.
- Solo Show; "Near and Far" Darkroom Revelations Gallery, May 2017 Indianapolis, Indiana
- Retrospective Solo Show; 1978-2015 "Art Meets News" March-July 2015 Indiana State Museum.
- Solo Show: "30 years After" The US Marines in Beirut 1982-1985.
- M-10 Gallery, Indianapolis 2015.
- Group Show; 2nd International Photo Festival, Tel Aviv/Jaffa Port, Israel 2012
- Solo Show; "New/Recent Work": Bush Stadium/Dubai, UAE. M-10 Gallery Sept. 2012.
- Group Show; "I.U. Journalism School Alumni works celebrate 100 years" Ernie Pyle Hall, Indiana University 2011.
- Solo Show; "Spirit and Place Festival-Around the world" 2nd Presbyterian Church gallery, Indianapolis, 2009
- Solo Show; "Street Work" June-July 2008, Indianapolis Public Library.
- Solo Show; "Postcards from Egypt, Israel and Lebanon" June-August 2007 Jewish Community Center, Indianpolis, Indiana
- Solo Show; "Portraits/Life Unstaged" Marian University- Fisher Hall gallery, February/March 2007.