Candidates who wish to continue in the School of Education must complete Phase I Assessment before taking 300- and 400- level courses in the School of Education. Candidates are strongly encouraged to complete the Praxis I or Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA) exams before beginning their second year in order to meet licensing requirements in four years. Candidates must successfully pass either the Praxis I or CASA exam or qualify for the alternatives to document basic skills competency before applying for Phase I.
Transfer students, part-time students, and license-only students should register for the Praxis I exams during their first semester at Marian if they do not have sufficient ACT, SAT, GRE scores to qualify for the alternative route.
The following abilities are evaluated for admission to the program:
- Communicates effectively in analysis of self and others
- Observes critically
- Identifies own values
- Articulates personal teaching philosophy
- Relates values to college and program mission
- Uses appropriate language and form
- Acts responsibly and professionally
- Takes charge of own learning
For more details on Phase I Assessment, access the informational sheet.